Tuesday, October 13, 2009

There Is Actually Value in the Village

It is a few weeks into October and if any of you are like me then your funds are desperately low. So low that my friend and I decided to shop at Value Village. We actually went there to look for Halloween costumes but ended up browsing the sweater section.

For $20 I bought a baggy cardigan, a winter sweater, a belt and a necklace. The best part is that they are all original and cheap. You will not walk around campus and find someone wearing the same thing as moi.

I suggest all you Western fashionistas try out your nearest value village or any vintage store. And maybe I am behind with the times and most of you know my secret but if not, give it a try. You might be surprised to what you will find and it gives you a chance to be creative and original!

4 comments:

  1. This is the BEST place ever for Halloween costumes! My roommates and I live by it every year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a big supporter of the Value Village/Good Will-esque stores. I usually go in there looking for joke items and ridiculous outfits to wear to theme parties. However, I usually end up leaving with a few items I'd actually wear out on a consistent basis (the most notable being a pair of shoes that I got for $8!). I still shop elsewhere, but it's always fun to go in and look around. Students need to be cautious though. I remember going in one time with some of the girls I hang out with. Their Coach bags were worth more than the store contents. Some people are legitimately shopping there for the fact that they can't afford to shop elsewhere. We need to keep that in mind when browsing, and not get too carried away with the antics of these stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's important not to mock people who may or may not have less money than you, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone else even notices what kind of bag you have.

    Value Village is not only way to find cheap, sweet finds, but it's also a more sustainable way of living. In our culture we tend to use things for a very short period and throw them away long before they are done being useful. Reusing clothes requires less energy than manufacturing new ones and since we do only have the one earth, I think it's important to keep these things in mind.

    For anyone that likes Value-Village, you should also check out Rehash. It's like free eBay for clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My recommendation is Talize, another thrift store. There's one on Huron St. in London. My success at Talize has been > than my success at Value Village ... you try there as well!

    My friends and I have found some sweet deals there with almost-new clothes and accessories! Shopping at thrift stores for cheap finds is definitely more satisfying than splurging on expensive couture that hardly lasts past a season.

    Go to talize.com and you will find other locations in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete